- download the package from www.phpbb.com/downloads
- upload the contents of the package to the server
write-enable certain directories:
chmod 777 cache chmod 777 files chmod 777 store chmod 777 images/avatars/upload chmod 666 config.php
open installation script in the browser:
- fill in the preferences and db connection details
- delete the
- proceed to administration control panel (
- walk through all the settings, create categories and forums...
Today I installed PhpBB 3 forum on my linux hosting with MySQL database. Here are the quick steps:
In this article, I will summarize the general rules that I learned during years of designing web application user interfaces.
- Keep it simple and clear.
Users need to solve tasks efficiently and quickly. The interface should be as simple and straightforward as possible. Each component should have it's clear purpose and the visual structure should reflect the logic behind it.
- Make it intuitive
Don't make user stop and think about how it works. Let the layout and appearance of the components speak for themselves.
- Know the rules.
Users expect a certain visual layout as well as functionality of the components. If you break the rules and make things look or behave differently, you should have good reasons for it and make sure user understands it.
- Use hints where necessary.
When you are not sure, create hints that will explain the purpose and how it works.
- Look through user's eyes.
Try to look at the interface from user's perspective. Think about what is the important information for the user and what is not so important. The most common tasks should be always at hand.